News: **** YAHOO, MSN and HOTMAIL are still blocking the forum mailbox, so you have to use a different email address, or PM the admin on facebook. ****

Subscription Status

Supporting Member : No
Pro Supp. Member : No

Join & Become a Member
Supporting Memberships

Our Local Sponsors

Forum Links

Author Topic: New Hunting Knives!  (Read 295 times)

Offline Taz575

• Keep the 2nd Amendment Alive.
New Hunting Knives!
« on: August 09, 2021, 02:49:53 PM »
What do you guys think of these patterns?  I am back to making knives again and trying out some different blade and handle shapes and materials and different steels!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 02:50:07 PM by Taz575 »

Online Ericruno

Re: New Hunting Knives!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2021, 08:15:41 AM »
I like how you don’t put too much belly into the blade like some skinner knives I see. They work good but so hard to sharpen that belly consistently for me. What I look for in a hunting knife is a handle that’s not too round as I’m usually just using a few fingers on the handle and not a baseball bat death grip. A little jimping on top of the blade is never a bad thing either. Looks good. Keep up the good work

Offline Taz575

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2021, 08:29:04 AM »
Thanks!  I try to make my handles in normal positions that people use.  I have seen some funky looking and shaped handles and don't understand how they would feel comfortable in use!

Do you like the jimping near where the blade meets the handle or up at the tip?  I had a customer want me to add jimping up near the tip and I had never gotten a request like that before.  I do have a checkering file, but I need to use that before heat treating to get nice jimping. 

I have made some semi skinner style knives in the past, but never really understood or liked the whole big belly thing for skinning either.  I skinned deer with my uncle for several years and never noticed much difference with or without a lot of belly.  I prefer the looks with a mild belly.

Online Ericruno

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2021, 08:49:26 AM »
I usually like jimping near handle. The customers request for the texture at the tip is interesting. Maybe he holds the knife with blade up and uses his pointer to guide the tip when slicing into the stomach area  during field dressing. One thing I have noticed about some bigger hunting knives is when the handle gets overly large/heavy the blade movements get a tad more erratic but for field dressing it’s not a big deal.  If I was trying to process a chipmunk pelt then maybe it’s an issue haha

Offline Taz575

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2021, 09:17:31 AM »
He wanted to have more control of the tip when it was upside down where you lay your index finger along the spine.  It made sense, but I hadn't seen/heard of that before!

For the handles, I do either a full tang with the steel showing all the way around the handle (which makes it heavier, but I can also drill out the tang to lighten it  bit) or do a hidden tang.  Hidden tang is MUCH lighter weight wise!  The biggest one with the funky handle is less than 5oz for the entire blade, even though it is almost 10" overall length.  I also like using 3/32" thick steel for hunting knives; it is thinner and lighter and makes for a very slicey blade! I do full grinds (flat and convex) and put a taper in towards the tip, so it brings the weight back towards the hand. For the hidden tang handles, I try to keep the tang around 1/2" wide for strength and then cut a piece of G10 or Micarta material the same thickness as the tang to fit around the tang and then attach the scales to it.   

In the green/orange pic, the orange G10 is the spacer that goes around the hidden tang and the green is the micarta scales on top.  I usually do a coke bottle shape on the handles like that one or do a taper to the front and back of the handles so it's a tear drop shape, depending on the shape of the handle itself and use of the knife.  Kitchen knives get a mix where it has a straighter taper to the front, some palm swell and then a smaller dip in the rear of the handle like the blue pic. 

Offline JM4483

• PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2021, 10:11:53 AM »
Nice work!  I like that blue handle

Offline Taz575

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2021, 10:18:03 AM »
The blue camo handle is a material I make myself.  I use boat building/laminating epoxy and fabric to wet out the fabric and compress it in a mold while it cures.  It is similar to Micarta and G10, but uses different epoxy resins (not Bondo!) and fabrics.  I can do camo patterns like the blue one, or straight stacked layers.  I am going to start making my own carbon fiber laminates as well, so I will post pics in the next week or so of my first pieces of that!

Online toker

• Highly Active Member
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2021, 11:35:16 AM »
Those are some really nice designs!
"No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Taz575

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2021, 11:41:04 AM »
Thanks!  The top one is getting a bit of a handle change done to it; I am going to flatten out the hump that is at the top of the handle near where the blade comes out of the handle, reduce the guard area and do some thinning and contouring of the handle itself.  The handle is comfy, but feels too bulky in the hand.  It's a hidden tang and the ricasso (flat area between where the grind of the blade starts and the handle) is actually recessed into the handle itself a bit, so I can remove and work on the handle without risking any damage to the blade while I tweak the handle shape/contours.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 11:42:44 AM by Taz575 »

Offline Taz575

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2021, 05:38:11 AM »
Still have a few hunting knives left.  All of these are ground from barstock and professionally heat treated and come with sheaths.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal