News: **Please Read**. If you have a new or renewed membership on the site but it has not been added to your account after a day or two, please send the admin (mrnuke) a private message so your account can be corrected manually. There is an ongoing connectivity error with the Paypal subscription system.

Thank you

Subscription Status

Supporting Member : No
Pro Supp. Member : No

Join & Become a Member
Supporting Memberships

Our Local Sponsors

Forum Links

Author Topic: Lord of the Rings Series - Amazon Streaming  (Read 98 times)

Online sbhaven

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Active Member
  • Keep the 2nd Amendment Alive.
Lord of the Rings Series - Amazon Streaming
« on: October 11, 2021, 12:11:52 PM »
Apparently there is a Lord of the Rings series in the works for Amazon streaming. And some are commenting on it not being like the movies. Good writing and a good plot doesn't need SJW intentionally injected into it. Time will tell with this new series if they injected SJW for SJW sake.

Lord of the Rings Show's Hobbits Won't Be All White Like in the Movies
https://screenrant.com/lord-rings-show-diverse-hobbits-not-white/

Amazon's upcoming Lord of the Rings TV show will feature more diverse Hobbits according to British actor Lenny Henry, who will appear in the series.

The upcoming The Lord of the Rings TV show will feature Hobbits that are not white, according to Sir Lenny Henry. The epic fantasy trilogy followed hobbit Frodo Baggins in his heroic quest to destroy the Ring of Power and save Middle Earth from the tyranny of the Dark Lord. Peter Jackson's big screen adaptation of J. R. R. Tolkien's literary masterpiece is often considered one of the most successful and popular movie franchises of all time, and the success of the films prompted a similar adaptation of The Hobbit several years later.

Since the movies have ended, the legacy of The Lord of the Rings has continued to endure, with many comparing fantasies that have come since with the age-old classic. It was recently revealed that Amazon's Lord of the Rings TV show adaptation will receive a September 2022 release date to air on Prime Video streaming platform. The highly anticipated series has supposedly been in the works for years, and it's believed to be one of the most expensive television series ever made in terms of production costs and personnel.

Now, one of the stars of the show, British comedian Sir Lenny Henry, has praised the additional diversity in the show, with the inclusion of black hobbits. The 63-year-old appeared on BBC Radio 4's Saturday Live show to discuss the upcoming series, and his role in it. As reported by Bleeding Cool, Henry spoke about the differences between the show and the film series, and how there will be a greater focus on diversity and female empowerment in this adaptation. Read the actor's quote below:

"I'm a Harfoot, because JRR Tolkien, who was also from Birmingham, suddenly there were black hobbits, I'm a black hobbit, it's brilliant, and what's notable about this run of the books, its a prequel to the age that we've seen in the films, its about the early days of the Shire and Tolkien's environment, so we're an indigenous population of Harfoots, we're hobbits but we're called Harfoots, we're multi-cultural, we're a tribe not a race, so we're black, asian and brown, even Maori types within it."

While Amazon has yet to release a trailer for their Lord of the Rings TV show, there is actually quite a lot known about the series for it still being a year from release. The show will be set 1,000 years before the events of the movies, which will allow the writers to explore new stories with characters that audiences haven't met yet. Galadriel, Elrond, and Sauron will be part of the show's story, but there is a slew of other characters such as Oren, Beldor, Tyra, and Trevyn that audiences will be less familiar with. Jackson's Lord of the Rings movies did include a primarily white cast, but it's clear that Amazon is trying to diversify their characters.

Prime Video has become a top contender in the streaming wars with shows like The Boys and Invincible, and The Lord of the Rings should be another show to drive up their subscription numbers. Even 20 years since Jackson's first Lord of the Rings movie came out, the franchise is still incredibly popular. While characters like Frodo and Sam will always be beloved by fans, it will be a fresh change of pace to see more diversity in such a popular setting like Middle Earth. Regardless of what Amazon does, their show will likely be criticized if it strays away too much from Jackson's vision, but focusing more on diversity and female empowerment should be a welcome change to Lord of the Rings.
Potentially, a government is the most dangerous threat to man's rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
- Ayn Rand

Online toker

• Highly Active Member
Re: Lord of the Rings Series - Amazon Streaming
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 12:32:50 PM »
Regardless of what Amazon does, their show will likely be criticized if it strays away too much from Jackson's vision, but focusing more on diversity and female empowerment should be a welcome change to Lord of the Rings.
Did people sleep through the LotR movies and books? There are some very big female empowerment moments.

I don't have any issues with multi-cultural hobbits since it's a fictional universe. As you mentioned, what's more important is the storyline and writing.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 12:35:04 PM by toker »
"No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
- Thomas Jefferson

Online imahangtia

• Highly Active Member
  • NEVER FORGIVE SB-1160
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 01:08:48 PM »
Black midget hobbits?  Okay, whatever.  What's for second breakfast?

« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 01:12:13 PM by imahangtia »

Online joelcramer

• Supporting Vendor
  • Highly Active Member
  • I fear for our Republic.
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 02:06:55 PM »
If it is a prequel that takes place 1000 years before Tolkien's story starts then how can they call it the lord of the rings? The first book is not even called the lord of the rings, just simply the hobbit. The three books after that is the trilogy of the lord of the rings. I don't care about adding blacks as hobbits. There are other aspects of the social justice movement I would object to.

Online toker

• Highly Active Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 03:35:31 PM »
If it is a prequel that takes place 1000 years before Tolkien's story starts then how can they call it the lord of the rings? The first book is not even called the lord of the rings, just simply the hobbit. The three books after that is the trilogy of the lord of the rings. I don't care about adding blacks as hobbits. There are other aspects of the social justice movement I would object to.
The Rings of Power were forged in the Second Age, year 1500. The events in Lord of the Rings were almost 4800 years later. So they have a little leeway on calling it Lord of the Rings.
"No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
- Thomas Jefferson

Online sbhaven

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Active Member
  • Keep the 2nd Amendment Alive.
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 03:36:34 PM »
Did people sleep through the LotR movies and books? There are some very big female empowerment moments.

I don't have any issues with multi-cultural hobbits since it's a fictional universe. As you mentioned, what's more important is the storyline and writing.
Yeah its LOL funny some are making an issue of it. They just have to virtue signal.

I laughed out loud the other day reading an article (see link below) about a dope who cheered the stronk female vibe in the new Dune movie. They obviously haven't read Frank Herbert's Dune book/series. Hello... does "Bene Gesserit" (for starters) ring any bells?

Denis Villeneuve Gave ‘Dune’ Writer Mandatory Goal: Focus on the Women Characters

:facepalm:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 03:36:54 PM by sbhaven »
Potentially, a government is the most dangerous threat to man's rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
- Ayn Rand

Offline Blaster

• Highly Active Member
  • Don't tread on me.
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2021, 07:05:04 PM »

Amazon's upcoming Lord of the Rings TV show will feature more diverse Hobbits according to British actor Lenny Henry, who will appear in the series.

The upcoming The Lord of the Rings TV show will feature Hobbits that are not white, according to Sir Lenny Henry.

This could be like stepping on a land mine and hoping it doesn't go off. There is no pleasing the woke mafia. The ever changing rules and what is acceptable during production will not necessarily be in vogue when air time comes. Hopefully they will include LGBTQRZ++-- #$$%& Hobbits too. Personally I'm pulling for a psychopathic sex offender kleptomaniac Hobbit of color who identifies as a gay Orc.   

Online imahangtia

• Highly Active Member
  • NEVER FORGIVE SB-1160
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2021, 07:09:38 PM »
WTF is "Orc"?  I know I shouldn't ask, but.....

Peeking out from under the covers hoping no one notices that I don't know what is "Orc".

Offline Blaster

• Highly Active Member
  • Don't tread on me.
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2021, 07:35:55 PM »
WTF is "Orc"?  I know I shouldn't ask, but.....

Peeking out from under the covers hoping no one notices that I don't know what is "Orc".

Kinds of Orcs
https://lotr.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Kinds_of_Orcs

A rather divers bunch.  :bowrofl:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal