News: **** YAHOO, MSN and HOTMAIL are still blocking the forum mailbox, so you have to use a different email address, or PM the admin on facebook. ****

Subscription Status

Supporting Member : No
Pro Supp. Member : No

Join & Become a Member
Supporting Memberships

Our Local Sponsors

Forum Links

Author Topic: Recommendations for barrel theeading  (Read 592 times)

Online K. Soze

• Highly Active Member
  • Keep the 2nd Amendment Alive.
Re: Recommendations for barrel theeading
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2020, 08:23:47 PM »
A real gunsmith knows how to use a lathe. Using a lathe includes cutting threads. Using a die to cut threads is a hack job.

As Joel stated you also need to make sure the shoulder is cut square to the bore

Just because you can take a box of parts and build assemble an AR does not make you a gunsmith.

Agreed, using a die is a real sign of a hackjob. I wasnt even aware this was done in practice by any gun shop/smith or machinist.

We had a harding lathe years back, threading was a simple job for even a novice.

Ive heard great things about a lot of shops around, but having spent time as a machine operator around some real machinists i always have doubts as to the ability of a gunsmith. Not to shit on anyone locally, but for me i would send it out to a competent machine shop that specializes in machining gun parts over a dealer who does it as extra work. Especially being a preban.

If you go with someone locally, please post back and let us know it turned out. Ive got at least two preban mkII id like to get threaded.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 08:25:57 PM by K. Soze »

Online SCAGNETTI

• Forum Contributor Pro
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2020, 08:56:16 PM »
Contact Randy at CPC. CT Precision Chambering. He is in Middletown. He threaded & made a cap for my mkii ruger couple years ago. Uses a lathe and single point cuts his threads. He does great work all around. I have a trigger job and some other stuff from him as well for my 10/22's. Check out his website. He is a big Ruger .22 guy. Emailing him is best for quote and shipping information.

Online Jgreen2193

• PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2020, 09:08:25 PM »
Contact Randy at CPC. CT Precision Chambering. He is in Middletown. He threaded & made a cap for my mkii ruger couple years ago. Uses a lathe and single point cuts his threads. He does great work all around. I have a trigger job and some other stuff from him as well for my 10/22's. Check out his website. He is a big Ruger .22 guy. Emailing him is best for quote and shipping information.

He did work to my 10/22 and my fathers. He knows his shit and they are tack drivers. Seriously. Oem barrel, chamber work, bolt work, trigger, crown. Awesome dude. Highly recommend him. He’s very popular on rimfirecentral and does a lot of work from that website, gets a lot of shipments. He has been doing this for a while and had a great reputation.

Online Bottom Rung

• Forum Contributor Pro
  • Highly Active Member
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2020, 11:14:02 PM »
I had JoJo’s thread my MkII two years ago.  They did a fine job. I think they finished it in less than a week. I requested a smooth, blended cap, but they gave me a knurled cap. Not a big a deal. They adjusted the price.

They recently completed a friend’s MkII and it came out very nice.  He received the blended muzzle cap and it looks great. 

As far as concentricity problems, I had to send a Ruger American Rimfire rifle back to Ruger in 2018 because the bore was not concentric.  The bullets were just wiping the very end of the suppressor.  So yeah, that bit about Ruger screwing up .22 bores is true.

Online Masked

• Supporting Vendor
  • Highly Active Member
  • Sup.
    • Smith Tactical
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2020, 10:14:04 AM »
Ive heard great things about a lot of shops around, but having spent time as a machine operator around some real machinists i always have doubts as to the ability of a gunsmith. Not to shit on anyone locally, but for me i would send it out to a competent machine shop that specializes in machining gun parts over a dealer who does it as extra work. Especially being a preban.

I can't think of a dealer other than Jojo's/Delta that really does lathe work...The rest are actual gunsmiths and/or machine shops and/or actual manufacturers. Lester manufactures his own Others now...DA does the same...DLD does the same (Although, word is he sends his gunsmithing work, out)...

That being said, you do realize that the 2 best gunsmiths in this entire industry (IMO) started out threading barrels, single point, on lathes and never took machining classes or had lathe experience prior to turning a barrel?

George Gardener practically started out in his garage...So did Obermyer...Both are considered "experts" and are bar-none considered the best in our field. Even LRI, guy never took a machining class in his life - Watch the videos on facebook...Reverse engineered his own CNC and now does DRO work like a champ...That's impressive.

And something else was said earlier about "assembling" AR's...Let me tell you guys something - I've had 10 guys apply to work here. 4 really had the time to stick around and "showcase" their skills...You'd be very surprised how many people *THINK* they can assemble an AR well, who really can't and should not be assembling AR's at all. Same goes for Glocks...Didn't even get to the MP 2.0's...

Springs in the wrong holes...Pins in the wrong places...Marring the shit out of the firearm itself...

I'm not trying to toot my horn here - Youtube is a great resource and all - But some things should be left to those that do this professionally. Just saying.
FFL 07 + SOT located in Oxford CT
www.Smith-Tactical.com
203-850-7770

Online K. Soze

• Highly Active Member
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2020, 10:48:29 AM »
Im not saying that there arent talented people out there. Im just saying id feel more comfortable sending my firearms to a machine shop that has an FFL rather than an FFL who does this sort of work as a complement to selling firearms.

A lot of machinists never took a “class” per se, just learned through being apprentices to the skilled guys. I learned more in a shop from the old guys than i ever would in a class. And knowing how much they know i would feel very confident handing off my stuff to those guys. Im not sure i would want them stippling a frame or doing a trigger job over someone at a gun shop who does it more often.

If jojos and delta are the only guys using a lathe, that makes me a bit uneasy.

Online Masked

• Supporting Vendor
  • Highly Active Member
  • Sup.
    • Smith Tactical
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2020, 11:32:31 AM »
Im not saying that there arent talented people out there. Im just saying id feel more comfortable sending my firearms to a machine shop that has an FFL rather than an FFL who does this sort of work as a complement to selling firearms.

A lot of machinists never took a “class” per se, just learned through being apprentices to the skilled guys. I learned more in a shop from the old guys than i ever would in a class. And knowing how much they know i would feel very confident handing off my stuff to those guys. Im not sure i would want them stippling a frame or doing a trigger job over someone at a gun shop who does it more often.

If jojos and delta are the only guys using a lathe, that makes me a bit uneasy.

I understand.

I learned the same way...

I'm not saying the other shops don't have lathes - I'm saying that most shops in CT, pushed for their 07's so that they could manufacture firearms to state law. I can't verify if DLD has a lathe or if Delta does - I know Jojo's does and I'm pretty sure Lester does...I know for a fact that Mitch does - Does excellent work as well. Parker Gunsmithing, Sean does incredible work...Otherwise - :dunno:

We purchased a custom Summit with a DRO back in August...Have had to move it twice because of the fire marshal - Can't tell you how awesome it is to be turning again...

I'm not speaking ill of any FFL/Manufacturer either, I really don't know who has what.

What I can say, your experiences speak volumes and since most of us aren't on-line types, that's the only way some of these guys get business, so keep on reviewing and spreading the word.
FFL 07 + SOT located in Oxford CT
www.Smith-Tactical.com
203-850-7770

Online triton186

• Highly Active Member
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2020, 05:10:23 PM »

If you go with someone locally, please post back and let us know it turned out. Ive got at least two preban mkII id like to get threaded.

So based on a couple recommendations here and some further online research, i decided to go with Connecticut Precision Chambering in Middletown.  It worked out well since i work in town.  He did great work and had my barrel back in about 10 days.  He was actually working on the lathe when i walked in to drop it off.  He did a smooth thead protector and recrowned the barrel.   I’m very pleased with his work and wouldn’t hesitate to bring him more work.  Now its off to cerakote somewhere.   

If anyone else is considering CPC, Randy did mention this might be his last year as he’s considering retiring. 

Online Bottom Rung

• Forum Contributor Pro
  • Highly Active Member
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2020, 11:57:28 PM »
Thanks for the follow up.

Online SCAGNETTI

• Forum Contributor Pro
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2020, 07:04:31 AM »
Glad everything worked out for you. As far as Cerakote call Liberty Coatings.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal