News: **** New feature for SUPPORTING MEMBERSHIPS & VENDORS ONLY ****
Your classifieds ads will be cross-posted on our facebook page.
It will link directly to it but no price will be shown.

Subscription Status

Supporting Member : No
Pro Supp. Member : No

Join & Become a Member
Supporting Memberships

Our Local Sponsors

Forum Links

Author Topic: Hoffman’s selling Other lowers.  (Read 6245 times)

Online shermer-high

• Highly Active Member
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
Re: Hoffman’s selling Other lowers.
« Reply #160 on: February 14, 2020, 06:37:37 AM »
My virgin preban from the 80s was sold as other so I think it's always been that way.

Online Masked

• Supporting Vendor
  • Highly Active Member
  • Sup.
    • Smith Tactical
« Reply #161 on: February 14, 2020, 07:29:17 AM »
Wow folks, missing the point.

When it's MANUFACTURED the MANUFACTURER gives that weapon a designation that you do NOT see.

On the 4473 and DPS-3 it is categorized as an "other item" because it's just a receiver.

Those are not the same thing.

Stamford Tactical...Freedom Shoppe...Got hit for changing designations...

We're not playing that game so...That's where I am.
FFL 07 + SOT located in Oxford CT
www.Smith-Tactical.com
203-850-7770

Online frosty2

• PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #162 on: February 14, 2020, 08:11:16 AM »
Wow folks, missing the point.

When it's MANUFACTURED the MANUFACTURER gives that weapon a designation that you do NOT see.

On the 4473 and DPS-3 it is categorized as an "other item" because it's just a receiver.

Those are not the same thing.

Stamford Tactical...Freedom Shoppe...Got hit for changing designations...

We're not playing that game so...That's where I am.

What designation is a stripper lower from aero precision? Don't they all just say "Cal multi" or something on it? Is that what you're talking about or do we not even see this designation because it's internal paperwork that consumers don't see?

Online Flatulence

• Highly Active Member
  • FCFAA
    • FCFAA
« Reply #163 on: February 14, 2020, 08:24:03 AM »
What designation is a stripper lower from aero precision? Don't they all just say "Cal multi" or something on it? Is that what you're talking about or do we not even see this designation because it's internal paperwork that consumers don't see?

He is talking about how it is recorded in his manufacturing log. End user does not see that. Has nothing to do with what appears on the DPS-3.

If anyone has got one of the Hoffman lowers, is it marked "other" or "CT other" anywhere?

Personally I don't think it matters with a stripped lower receiver, "virgin" if you will.

One thing Masked has said before is about liability. So far in CT, anyone who (as an individual) has gotten jammed up with an illegally configured "other" has been let slide. No one from the Stamford or FS messes got personally held responsible or arrested. The manufacturer was the one on the hook. With these stripped lowers being sold that is now out the window and the liability will shift to the person in possession. Build away but be 100% sure you are in compliance. I have personally seen tape measures come out both by ATF and CSP.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 08:31:34 AM by Flatulence »
Fairfield County Firearms & Archery LLC 01, 07, 08 FFL
4 New Canaan Ave Norwalk CT 06851
203 354 0616

Online Fyrfytr998

• Highly Active Member
  • Be water my friend.
« Reply #164 on: February 14, 2020, 09:31:31 AM »
He is talking about how it is recorded in his manufacturing log. End user does not see that. Has nothing to do with what appears on the DPS-3.

If anyone has got one of the Hoffman lowers, is it marked "other" or "CT other" anywhere?

Personally I don't think it matters with a stripped lower receiver, "virgin" if you will.

One thing Masked has said before is about liability. So far in CT, anyone who (as an individual) has gotten jammed up with an illegally configured "other" has been let slide. No one from the Stamford or FS messes got personally held responsible or arrested. The manufacturer was the one on the hook. With these stripped lowers being sold that is now out the window and the liability will shift to the person in possession. Build away but be 100% sure you are in compliance. I have personally seen tape measures come out both by ATF and CSP.

Okay, but guys are asking about how the stripped lowers come to a shop shop from the distributor? Do they arrive as others? Or do some arrive as pistol, rifle, etc.? Basically, if I'm reading the room right, guys are formulating a plan where they can get the cheapest possible priced stripped lowers in the largest numbers before it's too late.

Like I said, flood gates. Zero subtlety. Hell, I might even grab one if I can. My only question is, if a lower is purchased, does holding one without making it into a full weapon in a certain period of time put one in that gray area constructive possession?

Semper Fidelis

Online RRM707

• PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #165 on: February 14, 2020, 09:38:31 AM »
 does holding one without making it into a full weapon in a certain period of time put one in that gray area constructive possession?

Something to think about. I'm sure alot of people would stock up,

if not for this thought....

Online Masked

• Supporting Vendor
  • Highly Active Member
  • Sup.
    • Smith Tactical
« Reply #166 on: February 14, 2020, 09:42:05 AM »

Mhmmmmm. They're not coming after us anymore. If any one of you guys are off even 1/4in...You're getting the book and a ride.

Had a LONG conversation with some folks at SLFU this morning and you guys are getting exactly what you asked for.

And HONESTLY, It's really not as easy as following those "other" specs because you've now opened Pandora's box.

My first barrel order for our Others, was 12.25" - Reputable manufacturer...Whole 9...I used them as a consumer for EVERYTHING - Guess what? They weren't 12" or even the 12.25" as ordered...They were 11.75". That's illegal on an other without a pinned brake.

Had our ATF agent, just to demonstrate the process, take a specially designed dowel and literally measure from the chamber to the crown. He just SMILED at me. Had those been on our Others...Yep. Had 10 of them. Sucks to be me.

Better NOT have that brake pinned on a 14.5" Colt/HBAR barrel either because then you're over that 16" designation. Book and a ride.

Better NOT have your pistol brace back too far or easily manipulated to a stock length OAL because all it's going to take is that agent pulling back to push you out of being legal. Book and a ride.

Most of you seem to think I'm joking when I say the next part, but Others have been SEIZED for this:

BETTER make damn sure you can strap in and use your VFG while looking down those sights...Because now it's not just a seizure and a phone call to the manufacturer anymore...The onus is on YOU now...If YOU cannot use YOUR manufactured weapon as intended, you're fucked.

You think CSP is going to give up the opportunity to make an example out of someone instead of just seizing and walking away?

I'm not trying to be an ahole, I'm not fearmongering or trying to make a sales pitch...I have insurance for this shit...These are the rules I follow...And the same rules all of YOU get to follow...Just without an FFL, LLC or Insurance to fall back on.

:beer: Welcome to the club.
www.Smith-Tactical.com
203-850-7770

Online SJK2

• Highly Active Member
« Reply #167 on: February 14, 2020, 09:44:22 AM »
As of 9am Hoffman's has their ad back up on Facebook.........
Posting "Negative Karma" feedback under the guise of anonymity is just a “Girly-Man” thing to do. Man up & send a PM.!!!

Online Masked

• Supporting Vendor
  • Highly Active Member
  • Sup.
    • Smith Tactical
« Reply #168 on: February 14, 2020, 09:48:27 AM »
Okay, but guys are asking about how the stripped lowers come to a shop shop from the distributor? Do they arrive as others? Or do some arrive as pistol, rifle, etc.? Basically, if I'm reading the room right, guys are formulating a plan where they can get the cheapest possible priced stripped lowers in the largest numbers before it's too late.

Like I said, flood gates. Zero subtlety. Hell, I might even grab one if I can. My only question is, if a lower is purchased, does holding one without making it into a full weapon in a certain period of time put one in that gray area constructive possession?

No they do not arrive as Others.

Some shops are taking the product from COMPANY X and Re-Manufacturing them into Smith Tactical firearms.

That's all well and good...But if the OEM put it in their books as a pistol or a rifle and you're now making the opposite...You're just plane fucked.

I'm not willing to be placed in that situation. I'm sure some will, but we don't have millions of dollars to shell out atm so, hard pass.

Above/beyond that, ATF has been EXTREMELY clear that virgin receivers are the way to go. They've drawn a very clear line for those that have listened to them.

Now, I haven't had an update on the ATF about THIS situation, but as far as I'm concerned, we're just going to keep on, keeping on.

You are ALL now manufacturers of Others.

Anyone who buys one of these, now gets to follow the same legal shit that I have to.

Constructive possession is still a very REAL thing.

Joel is right, you may eventually beat the rap - But you're going for a ride.

Make that Other just 1/4in off - They're throwing the book at you.

An agent pulls back on your brace and it goes beyond OAL - Guess what? They're throwing the book at you.

My insurance agent called me this morning FREAKING OUT because the liability you've all opened yourselves up to is...That serious.

Well, nothing ventured, nothing gained, I guess.
www.Smith-Tactical.com
203-850-7770

Online GULFVT

• PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #169 on: February 14, 2020, 10:00:08 AM »
"Better NOT have that brake pinned on a 14.5" Colt/HBAR barrel either because then you're over that 16" designation. Book and a ride.

Better NOT have your pistol brace back too far or easily manipulated to a stock length OAL because all it's going to take is that agent pulling back to push you out of being legal. Book and a ride."

What is this rifle OAL you speak of?  other than the 26" OAL now there's a maximum OAL???? And where does it state you can't have a 16" barrel or longer.
Just asking for documentation???
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 10:00:59 AM by GULFVT »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal