News: **** New feature for SUPPORTING MEMBERSHIPS & VENDORS ONLY ****
Your classifieds ads will be cross-posted on our facebook page.
It will link directly to it but no price will be shown.

Subscription Status

Supporting Member : No
Pro Supp. Member : No

Join & Become a Member
Supporting Memberships

Our Local Sponsors

Forum Links

Author Topic: Gunbroker first time  (Read 200 times)

Online Dieselcamino

• PROTECT the 2nd!
Gunbroker first time
« on: February 13, 2020, 01:07:25 PM »
Hey guys, looking to sell a rifle on gunbroker for the first time, not 100% how to go about it, obviously I need to ship it to an FFL and get a copy of their paperwork. Any special way to ship rifles, usps ground? Also what is the best way of getting paid not being able to accept credit cards should I take usps money order only?
Thanks guys

Online nutter

• Highly Active Member
  • Keep the 2nd Amendment Alive.
Re: Gunbroker first time
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 01:14:32 PM »
It’s easy- set up a gunbroker account. You can ship a rifle through post office- FFL only if that is who you want to transfer through. USPS is fine- that’s what I do. Make sure you verify buyers FFL/dealer. Pack well-
What are you selling?

Online joelcramer

• Supporting Vendor
  • Highly Active Member
  • I fear for our Republic.
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 02:45:41 PM »
You can ship long guns through USPS, UPS or FedEx. You can not ship handguns through USPS unless it it from an FFL and to an FFL. If you use UPS you will have to go to a UPS hub. The UPS store does not knowingly ship firearms as a company policy. The UPS store is NOT part of UPS. I do not know how places like Staples handle these packages.

I think gunbroker has a service that will allow you to take credit cards using their service. Not sure but you should look at the tools for sellers. If they do you should charge the buyer whatever the charge is for using the card. You need to get paid up front and if you have no way to take credit cards then ask for a postal money order or bank check. Personal checks and store brand money orders (anything other than USPS) should be held 14 days. Do not ship anything for at least 3 days after you make the deposit to cash the check. If you get a postal money order the post office will not cash it until after 3 days from the date of issue. Not until it has been entered into their system. Yes they have been victims of bogus Postal Money orders also.

Be clear in your ad you are not a dealer and you will not ship unless you get a copy of their dealers FFL. Some dealers will not send an FFL out to anyone who is not a dealer. Or you could use a CT dealer. For outgoing I charge $25.00 plus actual shipping. This way the dealer will give you a DPS3 and you will have an authorization number proving you transferred the gun to a dealer. This could be used to cover your ass with documentation. If you ship it yourself you have no proof but whatever you save from the gunbroker sale. Whatever that is worth. With handguns it could cost the same or even less to use a dealer and USPS than doing it yourself and using UPS 2nd day service.

happy to answer any questions you have. good luck on your sale.

Offline BerettaBoy213

• Forum Contributor Pro
  • Highly Active Member
  • revolverholic
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 03:21:19 PM »
Every Joel said is excellent and will add a few more things from my experience:

• When I bought or sold in GunBroker in the past I preferred USPS MO's.

• If a personal check or other payment method wait for it to clear your bank. I don't know about any specific time like 3 days or whatever, just check your bank account online or at an ATM daily. DO NOT SHIP till it clears. If your buyer is antsy over the wait, tough to be them (but tell them kindly).

• If you ship FedEx you can arrange for them to pick up from your door step, though I'd want to be there is in person to hand it to the FedEx guy. UPS you must go to their hub, which might be far away from you (and you have to declare it as a firearm I think to the clerk which may feel awkward in this state, unlike FedEx).

• Joel's offer of shipping it for you is a good one and I'd take him up on that. Delta Arsenal in Wallingford will ship a gun for you for a similar price. Greyson Guns in Orange will also, but their transfer/processing fee (in addition to shipping) is higher for non-members than Delta. You're favorite local FFL might have a similar shipping offer/fees.

• I like having a DPS3 saying the gun left my hands so I always shipped through an FFL.

Online joelcramer

• Supporting Vendor
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 04:59:23 PM »

• If a personal check or other payment method wait for it to clear your bank. I don't know about any specific time like 3 days or whatever, just check your bank account online or at an ATM daily. DO NOT SHIP till it clears. If your buyer is antsy over the wait, tough to be them (but tell them kindly).

• If you ship FedEx you can arrange for them to pick up from your door step, though I'd want to be there is in person to hand it to the FedEx guy. UPS you must go to their hub, which might be far away from you (and you have to declare it as a firearm I think to the clerk which may feel awkward in this state, unlike FedEx).

There are several steps for a check to clear the bank. To be sure it is well and truly cleared wait two weeks. Anytime before that and a simple stop payment order will bind you up. I know this from personal experience that cost me plenty in the lesson. As for the Postal Money order this is pretty new. I got this info from the post office. They would not cash my money order until the money order was in their system. They told me it  takes 3 days.

Declare nothing. Don't lie if asked. But life's best advise is to never volunteer anything. You may be doing everything right but still be turned away by some ahole who thinks he knows it all or just does not care and hates guns. The constants of the package is none of their business. For USPS if asked you must tell them, but offer nothing.

One other note on shipping. Nothing on the outside of the box should indicate it contains a gun. That just invites a bad actor to target your package. If the shop you are selling it to is Joe's Gun Shop. Just address it to Joe's. The guy delivering it will know who you want it to go to. Nobody between here and there needs to know anything but address and zip code. This info comes form a postal inspector investigating a gun stolen from me in the US Mail.

Online spdy158

• I am a newbie. :-)
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2020, 09:12:56 AM »
I've used Joel to ship guns out and it saved the hassle of dealing with shipping and I got the transfer paperwork.  Using an FFL to ship out saves hassle and is worth in IMHO.

Online Masked

• Supporting Vendor
  • Highly Active Member
  • Sup.
    • Smith Tactical
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2020, 09:37:03 AM »
I echo what Joel has said.

Make sure the payment clears. Always.

Don't volunteer shit.

Good advice RT.
FFL 07 + SOT located in Oxford CT
www.Smith-Tactical.com
203-850-7770

Online joelcramer

• Supporting Vendor
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2020, 11:13:02 AM »

Don't EVER volunteer shit.

I fixed it for you.

Online MrNuke

• Administrator
  • Highly Active Member
  • Go Big or go Home..
    • GUNTALK.CLUB Firearms Forum
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2020, 12:54:22 PM »
I've used Joel to ship guns out and it saved the hassle of dealing with shipping and I got the transfer paperwork.  Using an FFL to ship out saves hassle and is worth in IMHO.

Same here. The extra cost IMO is worth the time and hassle saved.
CT's Hottest Guns and Firearms, Laws, Range Info, Politics, News and Events Social Site.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal