News: **If you're a Business**. Please do not post info about your company or business services unless you are permitted to do so
by the Admin. This rule has not been enforced much in the past, but with more paid vendors now, it has to be fair to them.
You can contact 'mrnuke' on the forum how to become a Supporting Vendor on the forum or an Advertiser. Thank You --Admin

Subscription Status

Supporting Member : No
Pro Supp. Member : No

Join & Become a Member
Supporting Memberships

Our Local Sponsors

Forum Links

CTGUNTALK.COM Forum Links
  1. CT AWB / LCM FAQ
  2. CT Shooting Range Info
  3. CT Gun Shops

Like & Follow us on :

Author Topic: Will gun stores stay open?  (Read 2394 times)

Online joelcramer

• Supporting Vendor
  • Highly Active Member
  • I fear for our Republic.
Re: Will gun stores stay open?
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2020, 09:42:48 AM »
I made the post on Facebook - I'll announce it here as well...

Smith Tactical is no longer doing transfers.

It took well over 1500x calling, between 3 people, to get 1 authorization, today.

1 authorization.

I don't have the resources to sit on the phone all day, to have 5 active lines...It's just not a reality.

If you folks want our lowers, I'll transfer them out to an FFL that has the resources to call all day.

We're going strong with parts kits - Going to post a flyer tomorrow about having a sale on parts kits.

UPS tells me shipping is "getting back to normal" as is Fedex. We'll see.

Until then, I'd appreciate some patience. Those of you with active builds, we're working on them.

Thank you.
If the gun shows ever return I would be happy to see your products represented on my tables if nobody else has them there.

Online Masked

• Supporting Vendor
  • Highly Active Member
  • Sup.
    • Smith Tactical
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2020, 09:54:38 AM »
If the gun shows ever return I would be happy to see your products represented on my tables if nobody else has them there.

Thank you sir - Allegedly we need to complain to the commissioner? SLFU has asked repeatedly for extra lines and/or a hold system, but they keep getting rebuked.

Time to get it done.

I don't think it'll get worse from now - November, but this is definitely the new status quot.
FFL 07 + SOT located in Oxford CT
www.Smith-Tactical.com
203-850-7770

Online joelcramer

• Supporting Vendor
  • Highly Active Member
  • I fear for our Republic.
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2020, 10:20:48 AM »
Thank you sir - Allegedly we need to complain to the commissioner? SLFU has asked repeatedly for extra lines and/or a hold system, but they keep getting rebuked.

Time to get it done.

I don't think it'll get worse from now - November, but this is definitely the new status quot.
The state will have no bearing on my sales for you since I don’t do others. But I will display them and sell your bud kits.

Online Durham68

• Forum Contributor
  • Highly Active Member
  • Keep the 2nd Amendment Alive.
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2020, 11:49:19 AM »

Time to get it done.

I’ve emailed my state rep and senator and neither has bothered to respond.

Online M1A_All_Day

• Forum Contributor
  • Highly Active Member
  • Firewood Hoarder
« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2020, 08:24:42 PM »
Strange times.

---
NRA praises Gov. Lamont for allowing gun stores to remain open during coronavirus shutdown
Hartford Courant | Mar 25, 2020 | 6:23 PM

https://www.courant.com/coronavirus/hc-news-coronavirus-nra-lamont-gun-stores-20200325-sriaeh4qyngxrg4cgjv7c2syii-story.html#nt=oft-Double%20Chain~Recommender~homepage-main-chain~breaking-recommender~~3~no-art~automated~curatedpage

As governors across the country put their states into lockdown and allow only essential businesses to remain open, they’re split on one question: Are gun stores essential?

In Connecticut, the answer is yes.

On Sunday, Gov. Ned Lamont released details on an executive order that, among many other things, classified gun stores as “essential” businesses and allowed them to remain open amid a coronavirus shutdown.

Lamont is not the only governor to let gun sellers keep doing business. The Courant reviewed the lockdown orders in 14 other states, and found that six have allowed gun and ammo retailers to stay open during lockdown. The list of states where gun stores are closed and not considered essential includes New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts.

While gun control activists have railed against Lamont’s decision, gun rights groups have lauded the move.

The day after Lamont released a detailed breakdown of essential businesses, including firearm retailers, the National Rifle Association praised him. When he ran for governor, the group had given Lamont an F rating.

“Your NRA would like to thank Gov. Lamont for upholding the right of law-abiding citizens to defend themselves and their loved ones,” said the NRA-ILA, which is the NRA’s legislative wing.

In response to the NRA’s statement, Lamont spokesperson Max Reiss pointed to the governor’s legislative record on gun control, particularly a bill banning ghost guns and another bill shoring up gun storage requirements, known as Ethan’s Law.

Lamont’s “policy record when it comes to gun safety has been consistent and unwavering,” Reiss said. Lamont “will always stand on the proper side of gun safety.”

Constitutionality

The NRA’s statement praising Lamont also claimed that states that close gun stores “are using the pandemic as an excuse to strip Americans of their fundamental right of self-defense."

Holly Sullivan, president of the Connecticut Citizens Defense League, raised the same concerns.

“It’s a constitutional right,” Sullivan said. “To limit somebody from the ability to [buy guns and ammo] right now is to limit their ability to protect themselves and their families."

But U.S. Sen. Richard Blumenthal, D-CT, speaking as a former attorney general, said there’s no constitutional violation in temporarily closing gun retailers.

“I see no constitutional issue here,” Blumenthal said. “The Second Amendment is the law of the land, but we’re not taking guns away from people, nor is there a permanent ban on gun sales.”

That theory has already been tested in Pennsylvania — where, according to The Philadelphia Inquirer, the state Supreme Court dismissed claims brought by gun rights’ advocates, who don’t want to see gun retailers close in that state.

Despite the court’s dismissal, Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf on Tuesday allowed gun stores to reopen with limited hours and only through individual appointments, the Associated Press reported.

In other states, gun stores were never closed in the first place. The lockdowns in Indiana, Illinois, Ohio, Louisiana, West Virginia and Wisconsin all classify firearm retailers as “essential” business — and, with the exception of West Virginia, all of those states’ orders say verbatim that gun stores are necessary “for purposes of safety and security.”

Lamont’s order does not use that language.

Disagreement

Jeremy Stein, the executive director of CT Against Gun Violence, said he was surprised and concerned that Connecticut has not closed gun stores due to the pandemic.

“Panic-buying of firearms is not the solution we are looking for to get through this pandemic,” Stein said. “Guns will not keep us safer, but from what we know, guns only increase the risk of homicide, suicide, and accidental death.”

Stein warned that stockpiling firearms at a time when children are at home due to school closures also increases the risk of children dying by firearms. He added that due to the pandemic, rates of depression and suicide are likely to increase, as people are isolated through social distancing and depressed from job loss.

In response to Lamont’s shutdown order, the Newtown Action Alliance, which was formed in response to the 2012 Sandy Hook shooting, started a campaign to have gun stores removed from the list of essential businesses.

Online Bottom Rung

• Forum Contributor Pro
  • Highly Active Member
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #75 on: March 25, 2020, 09:45:21 PM »
Strange times indeed.

Online sbhaven

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2020, 08:10:15 AM »
But U.S. Sen. Richard Blumenthal, D-CT, speaking as a former attorney general, said there’s no constitutional violation in temporarily closing gun retailers.

“I see no constitutional issue here,” Blumenthal said. “The Second Amendment is the law of the land, but we’re not taking guns away from people, nor is there a permanent ban on gun sales.”

That theory has already been tested in Pennsylvania — where, according to The Philadelphia Inquirer, the state Supreme Court dismissed claims brought by gun rights’ advocates, who don’t want to see gun retailers close in that state.

Despite the court’s dismissal, Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf on Tuesday allowed gun stores to reopen with limited hours and only through individual appointments, the Associated Press reported.

In other states, gun stores were never closed in the first place. The lockdowns in Indiana, Illinois, Ohio, Louisiana, West Virginia and Wisconsin all classify firearm retailers as “essential” business — and, with the exception of West Virginia, all of those states’ orders say verbatim that gun stores are necessary “for purposes of safety and security.”

Lamont’s order does not use that language.

Disagreement

Jeremy Stein, the executive director of CT Against Gun Violence, said he was surprised and concerned that Connecticut has not closed gun stores due to the pandemic.

“Panic-buying of firearms is not the solution we are looking for to get through this pandemic,” Stein said. “Guns will not keep us safer, but from what we know, guns only increase the risk of homicide, suicide, and accidental death.”

Stein warned that stockpiling firearms at a time when children are at home due to school closures also increases the risk of children dying by firearms. He added that due to the pandemic, rates of depression and suicide are likely to increase, as people are isolated through social distancing and depressed from job loss.

In response to Lamont’s shutdown order, the Newtown Action Alliance, which was formed in response to the 2012 Sandy Hook shooting, started a campaign to have gun stores removed from the list of essential businesses.
Told ya the usual suspects wouldn't be happy an would complain.  ;D

Like a typical Statist who doesn't believe in individual rights Blumenthal says with a straight face that temporarily stopping gun/ammo sales isn't an infringement of a right even though that right specifically states it should not be infringed upon.
Potentially, a government is the most dangerous threat to man's rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
- Ayn Rand

Online Monty22

• PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2020, 08:54:45 AM »
Just d*ck being d*ck.

Online M1A_All_Day

• Forum Contributor
  • Highly Active Member
  • Firewood Hoarder
« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2020, 08:59:02 AM »
When the smoke is clear from this entire thing, I will be curious if Lamont will answer why he included gun stores as "essential", breaking-ranks with so many other reliably-blue states. Did we actually put a dent in things?

Online sbhaven

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2020, 10:16:10 AM »
When the smoke is clear from this entire thing, I will be curious if Lamont will answer why he included gun stores as "essential", breaking-ranks with so many other reliably-blue states.
He didn't really break ranks. Several other typically blue states are keeping gun shops open or have backed tracked on initially shutting them down. Some who did shut stores down are getting sued for it.

In CT's case considering the limited number of businesses actually affected by the non essential order he maybe kept them open to keep the sales tax money flowing. After reviewing his non essential business closure order one has to struggle to find businesses that are non essential.

It is also possible many of these blue states that are keeping gun shops open have, like CT, relied on the essential/non essential classification based on the federal government listing of such businesses. As such maybe they fear loosing the inevitable lawsuits to such closures under the Stafford Act if they tried to go after guns in any way.
Potentially, a government is the most dangerous threat to man's rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
- Ayn Rand