News: **** YAHOO, MSN and HOTMAIL are still blocking the forum mailbox, so you have to use a different email address, or PM the admin on facebook. ****

Subscription Status

Supporting Member : No
Pro Supp. Member : No

Join & Become a Member
Supporting Memberships

Our Local Sponsors

Forum Links

Author Topic: Question about AOW and barrel length  (Read 660 times)

Online Masked

• Supporting Vendor
  • Highly Active Member
  • Sup.
    • Smith Tactical
Re: Question about AOW and barrel length
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2020, 11:35:53 AM »
ATF does not have a classification of Other. They have a classification of Firearm. Stop thinking of guns that don’t fit the description of a rifle or pistol as Others. Start thinking of them as Firearms. Other is just the description the state of CT has decided to use. It is not a term you will find in the Federal lexicon.  Except in the NFA classification of AOW. When you form 1 a Firearm it moves it from Title one of the 1968 firearm control act to Title 2. It is done all the time all across the country.

When a person files a form 1 they become the maker. They are in effect re manufacturing it. The same as when an 07/02 does it and files the 5320 ( form 2). An unlicensed person is a maker and a licensed person is a manufacturer. But the action is the same.

Joel, man - I like you a lot, you know that and you've been an incredible source of information for me, getting my business started - I can't speak highly enough of you.

I spent over 3 hours on the phone after that seminar being told something VERY different. Not just by Rhode Island, but half the next morning, NFA.

They're changing essentially how the process of manufacturing and re-manufacturing is done...And when I asked this question directly, I was told that it requires re-manufacturing, NFA OR NOT. Which, is almost effectively good-game on the spot under the "new interpretations" that we learned of on Wednesday.

I asked a question in the seminar that actually mystified them...Once they took a minute and understood what I was asking - I was immediately on a 3 hour phone call.

We're now required to get variances from all original manufacturers...The game is changing and it's changing, FAST.

I understand that you disagree with the boundaries they're subjectively putting into place and I completely agree with you...but, at the end of the day, I have my cliff-notes versions from the conversations about what I can and cannot do within their "new interpretations" and I'm just going to keep on, keeping on.

:dunno:
FFL 07 + SOT located in Oxford CT
www.Smith-Tactical.com
203-850-7770

Online Fyrfytr998

• Highly Active Member
  • Be water my friend.
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2020, 01:29:58 PM »
There are acronyms that have been around for ever. Stuff like LOL and BRB only came about because phones did not have real keyboards and they made some sense(as to reason for their existence) and have become common in usage. These days people think they can shorten any sentence by ADWTW. It is JPL and stupid in my opinion. I only use common acronyms. When I think they might not be known I spell out what it means the first time I use it. For example AOW (Any Other Weapon) so as not to confuse people. I think there are examples right here in this thread.
I know I am an intolerant old curmudgeon. But if you want to use examples of acronyms I use against me that have that have been in common use for...well in some cases at least a hundred years and some that have been around since the 1930s then just go ahead and I hope that satisfies your desire to be HTT. I am sorry if you were but-hurt by what I said. Wait on the other hand IDGAF.

What I do honestly apologize for is pushing this thread off track.

You spelled butt hurt wrong. <------Much like my previous post, this too is me joking around. Grow some skin your's is a little thin.

On topic....
With the developing Cali. (California  :rolleyes:) situation, maybe Masked is right to advise not poking the bear if it can be avoided. Gun owners are on a pretty decent wave right now. No sense in purposely wiping out.
Semper Fidelis

Online joelcramer

• Supporting Vendor
  • Highly Active Member
  • I fear for our Republic.
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2020, 04:41:12 PM »
You spelled butt hurt wrong. <------Much like my previous post, this too is me joking around. Grow some skin your's is a little thin.

Sorry it is hard to hear sarcasm in the written word. It’s one reason I no longer am on Facebook.

Online joelcramer

• Supporting Vendor
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2020, 04:46:03 PM »
Joel, man - I like you a lot, you know that and you've been an incredible source of information for me, getting my business started - I can't speak highly enough of you.

I spent over 3 hours on the phone after that seminar being told something VERY different. Not just by Rhode Island, but half the next morning, NFA.

They're changing essentially how the process of manufacturing and re-manufacturing is done...And when I asked this question directly, I was told that it requires re-manufacturing, NFA OR NOT. Which, is almost effectively good-game on the spot under the "new interpretations" that we learned of on Wednesday.

I asked a question in the seminar that actually mystified them...Once they took a minute and understood what I was asking - I was immediately on a 3 hour phone call.

We're now required to get variances from all original manufacturers...The game is changing and it's changing, FAST.

I understand that you disagree with the boundaries they're subjectively putting into place and I completely agree with you...but, at the end of the day, I have my cliff-notes versions from the conversations about what I can and cannot do within their "new interpretations" and I'm just going to keep on, keeping on.

:dunno:
I have no idea what you were told and by who. But to be honest I don’t care. Because until it is published in the federal register and entered into the regulations it is just another persons opinion. It seems as the changes you are talking about are already happening. So what difference does it make if somebody pokes the bear or not. It will cause no action you claim is not already in the works.

Online nutter

• Highly Active Member
  • Keep the 2nd Amendment Alive.
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2020, 05:37:21 PM »
Some of y’all should find a new hobby and stop being Karen’s!

Online Masked

• Supporting Vendor
  • Highly Active Member
  • Sup.
    • Smith Tactical
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2020, 05:42:04 PM »
Some of y’all should find a new hobby and stop being Karen’s!

I don't know about you, but if Karen keeps me out of federal prison...She's good people.
FFL 07 + SOT located in Oxford CT
www.Smith-Tactical.com
203-850-7770

Online nutter

• Highly Active Member
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2020, 06:48:14 PM »
Yeah .... I am not an ffl so pretty much won’t be going to prison :eyejack:

Online joelcramer

• Supporting Vendor
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2020, 07:01:03 PM »
Please keep it respectful. Opinion be dammed there is no reason for insults.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 07:03:17 PM by joelcramer »

Online nutter

• Highly Active Member
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2020, 07:02:08 PM »
Not sorry- don’t care!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 09:02:12 PM by nutter »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal