News: **Please Read**. If you have a new or renewed membership on the site but it has not been added to your account after a day or two, please send the admin (mrnuke) a private message so your account can be corrected manually. There is an ongoing connectivity error with the Paypal subscription system.

Thank you

Subscription Status

Supporting Member : No
Pro Supp. Member : No

Join & Become a Member
Supporting Memberships

Our Local Sponsors

Forum Links

Author Topic: Recall on Harbor Freight 3 ton and 6 ton jack stands  (Read 266 times)

Online edgephoto

• Forum Contributor Pro
  • Highly Active Member
  • Guns don't kill people. People kill people...
Re: Recall on Harbor Freight 3 ton and 6 ton jack stands
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2020, 05:50:26 PM »
While it's currently close to impossible to completely avoid buying products manufactured in China,  I will be putting some extra effort into checking manufacturing labels more closely. Buying from "anywhere but China". Avoiding places like Harbor Freight for anything your life may depend on has always seemed like a sound idea. It's even easier in today's climate to just avoid that place all together.

I am with you. I never really paid attention as long as it was quality and the price was right.

Last week I was working on my backhoe and realized I need a couple of heavy hammers to work on it. My tools are for automobiles not heavy equipment. Try to find a 3lb and 4lb hammer that is not made in China. I did find one but ended up down a rabbit hole of vintage stuff and bought 4 different pre WWII heads. I will put new handles on them and give them a new life. Yes I spent more than planned but it will be fun to fix and use them.

Online Monty22

• PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2020, 08:10:47 AM »
I am with you. I never really paid attention as long as it was quality and the price was right.

Last week I was working on my backhoe and realized I need a couple of heavy hammers to work on it. My tools are for automobiles not heavy equipment. Try to find a 3lb and 4lb hammer that is not made in China. I did find one but ended up down a rabbit hole of vintage stuff and bought 4 different pre WWII heads. I will put new handles on them and give them a new life. Yes I spent more than planned but it will be fun to fix and use them.

Vintage tools are great. I needed an upgrade to my workshop vice and after looking around a bit scored a vintage US made one from a friend. Cleaned it up, and it's great. And best of all it's actual steel, not hollow cast pot metal.

Online imahangtia

• Highly Active Member
  • NEVER FORGIVE SB-1160
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2020, 08:32:19 AM »
Americans need to learn China is our ENEMY.  No less so than Nazi Germany or the U.S.S.R.

Online imahangtia

• Highly Active Member
  • NEVER FORGIVE SB-1160
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2020, 08:46:10 AM »

Online Fyrfytr998

• Highly Active Member
  • Be water my friend.
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2020, 01:39:35 PM »
Pin Jacks for me thank you very much.
Semper Fidelis

Offline indawire

• Forum Contributor
  • Highly Active Member
  • Old enough to have had a draft card.
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2020, 02:16:27 PM »
I try to find USA made old tools at tag sales, antique shops,  barn sales etc. Clean 'm up, rehandle & sharpen 'em, lube  and there good for the next century. Way better than that Chicom melted down refrigerator emblem krap that globalists think is the wave of the future.

Online edgephoto

• Forum Contributor Pro
  • Highly Active Member
  • Guns don't kill people. People kill people...
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2020, 04:09:27 PM »
I try to find USA made old tools at tag sales, antique shops,  barn sales etc. Clean 'm up, rehandle & sharpen 'em, lube  and there good for the next century. Way better than that Chicom melted down refrigerator emblem krap that globalists think is the wave of the future.

I just got my ebay old hammer heads today. I will remove the tiny amount of rust, redress the faces, fit a new handle and have something that will last me until I drop and then my kid will get years of use out of them.

I fell down a rabbit hole and have more antique hammers coming.

Offline indawire

• Forum Contributor
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2020, 08:46:54 PM »
O boy,now your in for it. I've got boxes of old Made in CT. open and box end, monkey and adjustable wrenches, C clamps of every size, and who knows what else accumulated from over the decades.

Online Fyrfytr998

• Highly Active Member
  • Be water my friend.
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2020, 10:26:06 PM »
I just got my ebay old hammer heads today. I will remove the tiny amount of rust, redress the faces, fit a new handle and have something that will last me until I drop and then my kid will get years of use out of them.

I fell down a rabbit hole and have more antique hammers coming.

You sound like I did when all I would buy was York weight plates that were only cast from American foundry’s. They are getting harder to find.

American iron weights had a glorious history before China stole all the work. I think there is only one company left.
Semper Fidelis

Offline indawire

• Forum Contributor
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2020, 11:21:33 AM »
I've got a pile of old cast weights all sizes, if anybody wants some, come get em.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal