News: **Please Read**. If you have a new or renewed membership on the site but it has not been added to your account after a day or two, please send the admin (mrnuke) a private message so your account can be corrected manually. There is an ongoing connectivity error with the Paypal subscription system.

Thank you

Subscription Status

Supporting Member : No
Pro Supp. Member : No

Join & Become a Member
Supporting Memberships

Our Local Sponsors

Forum Links

Author Topic: S&W 340PD revolver  (Read 174 times)

Online imahangtia

• Highly Active Member
  • NEVER FORGIVE SB-1160
S&W 340PD revolver
« on: May 19, 2020, 07:43:52 PM »
Jeez...  And I thought my .357 magnum Ruger LCR was light at 17 oz.  Shooting full house .357 is fun for a few rounds. 

https://ruger.com/products/lcr/specSheets/5450.html

This must be brutal on the hands/wrists.

Offline Jgreen2193

• PROTECT the 2nd!
Re: S&W 340PD revolver
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 08:31:19 PM »
my father packs one.
shooting full defensive loads of 357, is like taking a wooden baseball bat and swinging it hard as you can at an oak tree. no joke. but in a defensive situation, you wont feel recoil at all. 
these are not range toys. even with 38's.

Online 19LG

• PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 09:24:55 AM »
The 365 with 10+1, incredible accuracy, and smaller footprint than the j frame raises the question as to why would someone choose the 5 shot, long trigger pull, hard to aim j frame?  I have one wheel gun and I know the whole reliability thought, but my 365 and Glock 26 + 43 have never malfunctioned. I don’t track round counts but I have put enough rounds through each that I have 100% confidence in them.  To each their own.

With that said the S&W model 19 comp is on my buy list!

Online toker

• Highly Active Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 03:49:47 PM »
The 365 with 10+1, incredible accuracy, and smaller footprint than the j frame raises the question as to why would someone choose the 5 shot, long trigger pull, hard to aim j frame?  I have one wheel gun and I know the whole reliability thought, but my 365 and Glock 26 + 43 have never malfunctioned. I don’t track round counts but I have put enough rounds through each that I have 100% confidence in them.  To each their own.
I feel the same way. I ought into the reliability argument and bought a S&W revolver years ago  just to have one in my collection. There's no way I would carry it instead of the Sig P365. So the only use I have for it now is to train people new to guns at the range when I take them.
"No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
- Thomas Jefferson

Online 19LG

• PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 04:57:40 PM »
I feel the same way. I ought into the reliability argument and bought a S&W revolver years ago  just to have one in my collection. There's no way I would carry it instead of the Sig P365. So the only use I have for it now is to train people new to guns at the range when I take them.

I like my 365 so much I’m thinking about buying a second one. Keep my original one as a trainer / shoot the piss out of it at the range. Second one will be my carry piece. Anyone else have 2 of the same gun ?

Offline Jgreen2193

• PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 07:48:43 PM »
The 365 with 10+1, incredible accuracy, and smaller footprint than the j frame raises the question as to why would someone choose the 5 shot, long trigger pull, hard to aim j frame?  I have one wheel gun and I know the whole reliability thought, but my 365 and Glock 26 + 43 have never malfunctioned. I don%u2019t track round counts but I have put enough rounds through each that I have 100% confidence in them.  To each their own.

With that said the S&W model 19 comp is on my buy list!

semis have a different footprint, i wouldnt call it smaller. different shape, easier to hide in your pocket, jacket, belt line etc. you wouldnt have a brick in your pocket, square edges and thick. instead you can have a round shaped piece that is thinner in spots.
i dont know the exact specs of each gun, but the 340 could weigh less as well.
and id carry a wheel gun anyday, knowing it would fire every time the trigger is pressed. some times a revolver would be a better choice for a female or a new shooter that isnt efficient on clearing stovepipes, double feeds, and any other issues a semi could possibly create. murphys law.
revolvers will always hold their own. and i enjoy a wheel gun over a semi any day of the week.
no im not a fudd or a boomer.  :banana:
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 07:49:48 PM by Jgreen2193 »

Online 19LG

• PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2020, 08:16:52 PM »
semis have a different footprint, i wouldnt call it smaller. different shape, easier to hide in your pocket, jacket, belt line etc. you wouldnt have a brick in your pocket, square edges and thick. instead you can have a round shaped piece that is thinner in spots.
i dont know the exact specs of each gun, but the 340 could weigh less as well.
and id carry a wheel gun anyday, knowing it would fire every time the trigger is pressed. some times a revolver would be a better choice for a female or a new shooter that isnt efficient on clearing stovepipes, double feeds, and any other issues a semi could possibly create. murphys law.
revolvers will always hold their own. and i enjoy a wheel gun over a semi any day of the week.
no im not a fudd or a boomer.  :banana:

No doubt. Not a bad choice for carry but the extra 6 rounds in the 365 and low recoil compared to the 340 feels good. Other advantage of the 340 is with that heavy trigger pull in an emergency situation you could stuff it in a pocket or Mexican carry it with very little chance of an ND. Not saying it’s a great idea but in an emergency running out the door that is an advantage. I wouldn’t feel safe with any striker semi without a Kydex holster.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal