News: **If you're a Business**. Please do not post info about your company or business services unless you are permitted to do so
by the Admin. This rule has not been enforced much in the past, but with more paid vendors now, it has to be fair to them.
You can contact 'mrnuke' on the forum how to become a Supporting Vendor on the forum or an Advertiser. Thank You --Admin

Subscription Status

Supporting Member : No
Pro Supp. Member : No

Join & Become a Member
Supporting Memberships

Our Local Sponsors

Forum Links

Author Topic: Moving to Florida  (Read 842 times)

Online M1A_All_Day

• Forum Contributor
  • Highly Active Member
  • Firewood Hoarder
Re: Moving to Florida
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2020, 10:59:21 AM »
Closest friend bought a place in Summerfield a few years ago and has been moving stuff down gradually, CT house goes on the market shortly.
Amazing what you can get for the money in the area.
Pods are outrageously-priced for the cubic feet- just buy a light enclosed trailer for $1500, take a few drives back and forth (if one was moving down slowly in-parallel), and sell the trailer for what you paid for it when done.

Online joelcramer

• Supporting Vendor
  • Highly Active Member
  • I fear for our Republic.
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2020, 12:05:52 PM »
Closest friend bought a place in Summerfield a few years ago and has been moving stuff down gradually, CT house goes on the market shortly.
Amazing what you can get for the money in the area.
Pods are outrageously-priced for the cubic feet- just buy a light enclosed trailer for $1500, take a few drives back and forth (if one was moving down slowly in-parallel), and sell the trailer for what you paid for it when done.
Another option is ABF Upack. They drop off a trailer for you to load. Then deliver it to your destination for you to unload. But if it were me I would buy the biggest beater box truck and sell it when done as M1A advises with the trailer. His idea sounds good but my tow vehicle gets 9MPG and would eat me alive in gas on several round trips. Also I am no longer tolerant of 24 hour drives. Anything more than 8 and I am looking at airline and rental cars.

Online markmiela

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2020, 02:59:02 PM »
Another option is ABF Upack. They drop off a trailer for you to load. Then deliver it to your destination for you to unload. But if it were me I would buy the biggest beater box truck and sell it when done as M1A advises with the trailer. His idea sounds good but my tow vehicle gets 9MPG and would eat me alive in gas on several round trips. Also I am no longer tolerant of 24 hour drives. Anything more than 8 and I am looking at airline and rental cars.

Try three dogs and towing a boat. Lol.

Online markmiela

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2020, 07:51:26 AM »
So this happened fast, house in CT under contract and house in FLA under contract. So my plan is to rent a U-Haul trailer, put all my ammo in the gun safe, lock my two hand guns up in two safes, lock my mini-14 in a hard case and lock it, other long guns would be wrapped in bubble wrap put in soft cases with trigger locks and all put in the trailer(guns and ammo separate) and drive straight to St. Augustine.

Sound reasonable?

Online M1A_All_Day

• Forum Contributor
  • Highly Active Member
  • Firewood Hoarder
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2020, 08:28:17 AM »
So this happened fast, house in CT under contract and house in FLA under contract. So my plan is to rent a U-Haul trailer, put all my ammo in the gun safe, lock my two hand guns up in two safes, lock my mini-14 in a hard case and lock it, other long guns would be wrapped in bubble wrap put in soft cases with trigger locks and all put in the trailer(guns and ammo separate) and drive straight to St. Augustine.

Sound reasonable?

Interstate travel- just make sure it’s secured and way out of reach.
You are legitemately moving to another state, this is normal.
Be normal, drive normal. You’ll be fine and good luck.

I think your biggest concern taking all that at once is if you have to stop and sleep, trailers parked along highway stops are major theft magnets.
If you’re not driving-through non-stop, find the better hotels that have secure parking. I usually make it to Fayetteville NC in a day, then do the rest to FL the next day.

Make absolutely sure you have a working spare for your vehicle and trailer.

Online imahangtia

• Highly Active Member
  • NEVER FORGIVE SB-1160
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2020, 08:45:15 AM »
A spare tire won't save you if your fuel pump fails, cooling system suddenly leaks, or any of a thousand other possible things happen.  I would ship the guns, or sell them and buy new.  Too much stress for me.

Online markmiela

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2020, 08:59:31 AM »
Not going to sell any considering some of the VLOGS I have seen with gun stores being empty.

Offline Hdoc

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2020, 04:03:18 PM »
Stores in Florida filled to overflowing with Guns and ammo as of three weeks ago. You may not be able to get a specific model due to production slowdowns, but the store next street over probably has it. ;D

Online markmiela

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2020, 07:10:49 PM »
Interstate travel- just make sure it’s secured and way out of reach.
You are legitemately moving to another state, this is normal.
Be normal, drive normal. You’ll be fine and good luck.

I think your biggest concern taking all that at once is if you have to stop and sleep, trailers parked along highway stops are major theft magnets.
If you’re not driving-through non-stop, find the better hotels that have secure parking. I usually make it to Fayetteville NC in a day, then do the rest to FL the next day.

Make absolutely sure you have a working spare for your vehicle and trailer.

The moving company is going to move all my firearms. Only thing I have to take is the ammo. Might ship the 9mm hollow points to my brother in law.

Online markmiela

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2020, 07:14:56 PM »
Stores in Florida filled to overflowing with Guns and ammo as of three weeks ago. You may not be able to get a specific model due to production slowdowns, but the store next street over probably has it. ;D

Plan on checking them out once I get my  Florida drivers license.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal