News: **** New feature for SUPPORTING MEMBERSHIPS & VENDORS ONLY ****
Your classifieds ads will be cross-posted on our facebook page.
It will link directly to it but no price will be shown.

Subscription Status

Supporting Member : No
Pro Supp. Member : No

Join & Become a Member
Supporting Memberships

Our Local Sponsors

Forum Links

Bookmarks 1 Bookmarks

Author Topic: MUST NOT PASS : Police Accountabilty Act (LCO3471)  (Read 3164 times)

Online Jacksrbetter

• Highly Active Member
  • Keep the 2nd Amendment Alive.
Re: MUST NOT PASS : Police Accountabilty Act (LCO3471)
« Reply #120 on: July 30, 2020, 09:09:23 PM »
Perhaps. But the degree of militancy employed is a sliding scale and is, in large part, a reaction to the problems, the politics, and the types of people the police are charged with protecting, all of which have changed a lot  in the last 40 years, and not for the good. While you want to soften the cops' approach and attitude, how about considering first the incredible disrespect many on the street have for the cops that they seem to learn on social  media, in schools and even at home, the willingness to physically take on, or even kill, cops for simply doing their jobs. Maybe ask yourself how any of you would react wearing a badge and trying to enforce the law.
Soft and cuddly policing? Be careful what you wish for.

Online NiCKZ

• Highly Active Member
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #121 on: July 30, 2020, 09:39:05 PM »
THE POLICE HAVE NO DUTY TO PROTECT ANYONE.

(Besides the governor for staties, and mayors of cities and towns)

Offline edgephoto

• Highly Active Member
  • Guns don't kill people. People kill people...
« Reply #122 on: July 30, 2020, 11:34:09 PM »
Perhaps. But the degree of militancy employed is a sliding scale and is, in large part, a reaction to the problems, the politics, and the types of people the police are charged with protecting, all of which have changed a lot  in the last 40 years, and not for the good. While you want to soften the cops' approach and attitude, how about considering first the incredible disrespect many on the street have for the cops that they seem to learn on social  media, in schools and even at home, the willingness to physically take on, or even kill, cops for simply doing their jobs. Maybe ask yourself how any of you would react wearing a badge and trying to enforce the law.
Soft and cuddly policing? Be careful what you wish for.

I am not suggesting the police be all warm and fuzzy but they need to access the situation and the attitude for each situation. Pull someone over for a motor vehicle violation and the person is driving a nice car, and is obviously a normal person, the tone, volume and choice of words should be much different than when arresting a gang banger.

This is not unusual for the attitude.

Online Masked

• Supporting Vendor
  • Highly Active Member
  • Sup.
    • Smith Tactical
« Reply #123 on: July 31, 2020, 08:18:09 AM »
I am not suggesting the police be all warm and fuzzy but they need to access the situation and the attitude for each situation. Pull someone over for a motor vehicle violation and the person is driving a nice car, and is obviously a normal person, the tone, volume and choice of words should be much different than when arresting a gang banger.

This is not unusual for the attitude.

The kid was driving erratically...Not actually "safely" as he claims - A fellow motorist that WITNESSED him driving commented on Reddit...Said he was driving like a "douchebag". Swerving back and forth as he was baking out in his vehicle...Thus the initial comment by the officer.

Not saying the officer's conduct wasn't out of line, because it most certainly was...But, if you're going to drive like a rere, cut off the cop and THEN flip him off? All WHILE BAKING OUT...I mean...Would any of you handled that any better?

My issue is the victim card he plays...He played a very stupid game...Won a stupid prize...Allegedly everyone around him could smell it through their AC...I mean, come on.

Of course, now I'm a sympathizer because I don't agree with a stoner getting baked, in his car, in traffic, on I95...Swerving through traffic and actually endangering other drivers...So, I've got that going for me now, that's nice.
FFL 07 + SOT located in Oxford CT
www.Smith-Tactical.com
203-850-7770

Offline 19LG

• PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #124 on: July 31, 2020, 08:51:36 AM »
The kid was driving erratically...Not actually "safely" as he claims - A fellow motorist that WITNESSED him driving commented on Reddit...Said he was driving like a "douchebag". Swerving back and forth as he was baking out in his vehicle...Thus the initial comment by the officer.

Not saying the officer's conduct wasn't out of line, because it most certainly was...But, if you're going to drive like a rere, cut off the cop and THEN flip him off? All WHILE BAKING OUT...I mean...Would any of you handled that any better?

My issue is the victim card he plays...He played a very stupid game...Won a stupid prize...Allegedly everyone around him could smell it through their AC...I mean, come on.

Of course, now I'm a sympathizer because I don't agree with a stoner getting baked, in his car, in traffic, on I95...Swerving through traffic and actually endangering other drivers...So, I've got that going for me now, that's nice.

Didn’t the cop release the guy without even charging him?  Not for nothing but the cop cut the guy a break. Could have jammed him up for not having the weed in the original container.

Offline edgephoto

• Highly Active Member
  • Guns don't kill people. People kill people...
« Reply #125 on: July 31, 2020, 10:33:18 AM »

Doing drugs or drinking and driving I have zero sympathy for but that cop was out of line no matter how you spin it. That is the typical attitude of most State Gestapo. They don't typically go off that bad but they are far from friendly or reasonable. It is the general attitude that is learned by them starting with the academy and furthered by their peers.

The legalization of drugs is creating a whole new generation of lazy, no good, fat asses. I used to be for it but being in the car business I run across far too many cars that smell like weed. People who do drugs are too stupid to realize they are a danger out there. No better than the guy who drinks a 6 pack while driving home from work. If these morons only hurt themselves than I would not give a shit. They are a danger to me and my family.

Online sbhaven

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #126 on: July 31, 2020, 12:19:54 PM »
Maybe ask yourself how any of you would react wearing a badge and trying to enforce the law.
Police officers are human just like everyone else. They have bad days like everyone else. There are good officers and bad. One's who are understanding and one's who are on a serious power trip. The beat cops see the best and worst of humanity. They have to deal with the Karen's all day long. They have to deal with people denying they are breaking the law. They have to deal with people lying to them. We almost NEVER hear the good they do as that doesn't generate outrage or news article clicks. Nope all we hear is the bad things certain officers do.

Of course if their leaders are corrupt then sometimes that tends to filter down and affect the entire department.

Now having said all that policing is often a reflection of the political leaders, the politicians who pass the laws the police enforce, and of the people they are policing over. Factor in politicians who do nothing but enact ever more laws for the officers to enforce. Factor in long run Democratic cities with long run systemic crime and other social issues. Factor in some officers having rage control problems (or other mental health problems). Factor in the current racial/political rage environment. Factor in a whole host of other issues. And you have a perfect storm of issues that can potentially lead to poor policing issues.

Part of the issue is that the politicians have elevated police to some extent so that they are a separate class of people and exempt from some laws (in particular firearm laws). That breads some resentment, that breads some entitlement. Made worse is the fact that police often arrest people for laws seen as unjust or unconstitutional. Police are the tip of the spear for the public/individual anger and blame, not the politicians who enacted the law the officer is simply enforcing.

Its a complex issue that people want simple solutions for. And predictably, from Democrats, we get the mess of the (emotional) bill that the Governor will enact primarily because they want to be seen as doing something (and by extension bend the knee to certain protest groups).
Potentially, a government is the most dangerous threat to man's rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
- Ayn Rand

Online sbhaven

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #127 on: July 31, 2020, 05:49:27 PM »
And it's now law. Red Ned signed it today.

H.B. No. 6004: https://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/cgabillstatus/cgabillstatus.asp?selBillType=Bill&which_year=2020&bill_num=6004

Gov. Lamont signs Police Accountability bill into law
https://www.wtnh.com/news/politics/gov-lamont-to-sign-police-accountability-bill-into-law/

Connecticut Governor Lamont signed the Police Accountability bill into law Friday.

“These reforms are focused on bringing real change to end the systemic discrimination that exists in our criminal justice and policing systems that have impacted minority communities for far too long,” Governor Lamont said. “Ultimately, what we are enacting today are policies focused on providing additional safeguards to protect peoples’ lives and make our communities stronger. Our nation and our state have been having a conversation on this topic for decades, and these reforms are long overdue.”

He was joined by Lt. Governor Susan Bysiewicz; the co-chairs of the Connecticut General Assembly’s Judiciary Committee, State Senator Gary Winfield (D-New Haven) and State Representative Steve Stafstrom (D-Bridgeport); State Representative Brandon McGee (D-Windsor, Hartford); State Representative Anthony Nolan (D-New London), who also serves as a New London police officer; and Waterbury Mayor Neil O’Leary.

Winfield was a lead author of the bill, and was very emotional when it looked like the state House of Representatives might remove the qualified immunity section. That section allows citizens to take legal action against officers if they feel those officers violated their rights. Qualified immunity survived the debates by both state representatives and state senators and remained in the final bill signed Friday

The bill was proposed in the wake of Goerge Floyd’s death, which sparked national and local demand for police reform.

It includes the following:

• Changes in the membership of the Police Officer Standards and Training Council (POST), which provides certifications and training to police officers in Connecticut. POST will be reconstituted to include persons impacted by the judicial system and towns of various sizes.
• POST will issue an annual report on police department efforts to recruit minority officers, and it will develop new crowd control policies, require implicit bias training, and ensure that police disciplinary records are subject to Freedom of Information Act requests.
• Uniformed police officers must have their names and badge numbers readily visible on all outer garments.
• Cities and towns can create civilian review boards, which will have subpoena power through their local legislative bodies (i.e. Board of Selectmen).
• Body and dashboard cameras will be mandatory for any officer interacting with the public.
• Chokeholds, stranglehold, and other tactics restraining oxygen and blood flow are banned, and officers will have whistleblower protections to report excessive use of force.
• A new Independent Office of the Inspector General will conduct use of force investigations.
Potentially, a government is the most dangerous threat to man's rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
- Ayn Rand

Online Fyrfytr998

• Highly Active Member
  • Fire for effect.
« Reply #128 on: July 31, 2020, 08:08:38 PM »
And it's now law. Red Ned signed it today.

H.B. No. 6004: https://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/cgabillstatus/cgabillstatus.asp?selBillType=Bill&which_year=2020&bill_num=6004

Gov. Lamont signs Police Accountability bill into law
https://www.wtnh.com/news/politics/gov-lamont-to-sign-police-accountability-bill-into-law/

Connecticut Governor Lamont signed the Police Accountability bill into law Friday.

“These reforms are focused on bringing real change to end the systemic discrimination that exists in our criminal justice and policing systems that have impacted minority communities for far too long,” Governor Lamont said. “Ultimately, what we are enacting today are policies focused on providing additional safeguards to protect peoples’ lives and make our communities stronger. Our nation and our state have been having a conversation on this topic for decades, and these reforms are long overdue.”

He was joined by Lt. Governor Susan Bysiewicz; the co-chairs of the Connecticut General Assembly’s Judiciary Committee, State Senator Gary Winfield (D-New Haven) and State Representative Steve Stafstrom (D-Bridgeport); State Representative Brandon McGee (D-Windsor, Hartford); State Representative Anthony Nolan (D-New London), who also serves as a New London police officer; and Waterbury Mayor Neil O’Leary.

Winfield was a lead author of the bill, and was very emotional when it looked like the state House of Representatives might remove the qualified immunity section. That section allows citizens to take legal action against officers if they feel those officers violated their rights. Qualified immunity survived the debates by both state representatives and state senators and remained in the final bill signed Friday

The bill was proposed in the wake of Goerge Floyd’s death, which sparked national and local demand for police reform.

It includes the following:

• Changes in the membership of the Police Officer Standards and Training Council (POST), which provides certifications and training to police officers in Connecticut. POST will be reconstituted to include persons impacted by the judicial system and towns of various sizes.
• POST will issue an annual report on police department efforts to recruit minority officers, and it will develop new crowd control policies, require implicit bias training, and ensure that police disciplinary records are subject to Freedom of Information Act requests.
• Uniformed police officers must have their names and badge numbers readily visible on all outer garments.
• Cities and towns can create civilian review boards, which will have subpoena power through their local legislative bodies (i.e. Board of Selectmen).
• Body and dashboard cameras will be mandatory for any officer interacting with the public.
• Chokeholds, stranglehold, and other tactics restraining oxygen and blood flow are banned, and officers will have whistleblower protections to report excessive use of force.
• A new Independent Office of the Inspector General will conduct use of force investigations.

While I am glad they are taking steps to get rid of bad cops. I have two thoughts.

1) These positions they are going to create to oversee the police will more than likely be overseen by anti cop aspiring and/or career politicians.

2) At some point the civilian reviewers will see that body cams showing criminals doing criminal things will hurt their cause, and be deemed as biased towards *insert group name here*. You know, because it's much easier to manipulate cell phone footage.
Semper Fidelis

Online BishopofBling

• PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #129 on: August 01, 2020, 01:00:49 PM »

That's the scary thing, even with video evidence people think that that is the be all end all. They don't understand context. There was a case in Las Vegas where a guy stabbed two random strangers in the street and the cops were chasing him telling him to put the knife down and he refused. Because the guy was approaching a bus stop where two people were sitting the police decided that he was a threat and shot him even though he was running away. If you were to just shorten that clip to the cops shooting a guy running away you'd have everybody on Twitter up in arms about the injustice even though they have no idea about context.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal