News: **** New feature for SUPPORTING MEMBERSHIPS & VENDORS ONLY ****
Your classifieds ads will be cross-posted on our facebook page.
It will link directly to it but no price will be shown.

Subscription Status

Supporting Member : No
Pro Supp. Member : No

Join & Become a Member
Supporting Memberships

Our Local Sponsors

Forum Links

Author Topic: Hey, is there an ammo shortage?  (Read 2445 times)

Online Bottom Rung

• Forum Contributor Pro
  • Highly Active Member
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
Re: Hey, is there an ammo shortage?
« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2020, 09:51:58 AM »
I sold one press to a friend, the others may be spoken for.  Too be clear, I’m not getting out of reloading.  I just decided to switch things up. I just purchased a new Dillon 550C to replace my Lee Turret press and two Dillon Square Deals. I can only run one press at a time and it will be nice to not have to store the others. I still have my single stage press as well.

Now is an excellent time switch things up because there is such a hungry market.

Weapon lights, optics, reloading gear, etc. if you want to upgrade it, there is finally a good chance to move it at a reasonable price.

Offline discounteggroll

• Highly Active Member
  • Always Free Delivery
« Reply #81 on: October 21, 2020, 05:55:07 PM »
I'm curious...why is 12ga ammo still plentiful and on hand everywhere?  Wondering if I should stock up for the upcoming trap/sporting clay seasons while 12ga shotshell prices remain constant

Online CTSixshot

• Forum Contributor
  • Highly Active Member
  • ...and the truth shall make you free.
« Reply #82 on: October 21, 2020, 06:00:38 PM »
I'm curious...why is 12ga ammo still plentiful and on hand everywhere?  Wondering if I should stock up for the upcoming trap/sporting clay seasons while 12ga shotshell prices remain constant

Your decision entirely. It would appear highly logical to me, Captain!

Online M1A_All_Day

• Highly Active Member
  • Firewood Hoarder
« Reply #83 on: October 21, 2020, 06:13:02 PM »

Bird shot #6/7/8 is plentiful as it’s bird season anyway and the industry ramps-up annually for this time. 00 buck and magnum slugs are out of stock everywhere or $1+ per round when it can be found.

Thankful this ammo shortage has not hit us 5-stand trap fans.

Online CTSixshot

• Forum Contributor
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #84 on: October 21, 2020, 06:44:05 PM »
I  haven't ventured into shot shell reloading, but my brother does. He's constantly telling me that with the largest component cost being shot, it's hard to beat the $5.48 (and lower) rates for generic 12 gauge ammo.
If you don't seek custom loads, you might as well just go by the cheapest fodder at Walmart.

Online Bottom Rung

• Forum Contributor Pro
  • Highly Active Member
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #85 on: October 21, 2020, 11:20:45 PM »
12 gauge buckshot and slugs sold out about the same all the defense and tactical shotguns did.  No coincidence of course.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen birdshot sell out and I wouldn’t expect it to. Perhaps, that’s the one loading that everybody has sane thoughts about? Perhaps the shooting world is content on leaving birdshot as a small game, bird, and clays load?

I think deep down, most people realize that skeet, trap, etc are considered less bad than the rest of the shooty things people do by the overlords in waiting.

Online imahangtia

• Highly Active Member
  • NEVER FORGIVE SB-1160
« Reply #86 on: October 22, 2020, 07:29:55 AM »
Back in 2013 when WallyWorld still sold pistol ammo .40SW was always available.  I did not have a .40 and still don't, so it did not affect me.

Is .40SW also sold out?

Online CTSixshot

• Forum Contributor
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #87 on: October 22, 2020, 08:11:22 AM »
TSUSA currently lists one item of .40 in stock; AE at 60¢ a round. All calibers have been scarce. TSUSA is even out of .270 Winchester.

Online Bottom Rung

• Forum Contributor Pro
  • Highly Active Member
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #88 on: October 22, 2020, 09:34:13 AM »
I doubt manufacturers will be doing their normal seasonal production runs of hunting calibers.  I imagine some will do their normal runs, but I bet most will keep it very limited rather than move precious resources from the hot sellers and back orders.

Anecdotally, I tried to buy a Ruger Blackhawk in .41 earlier this year. My FFL tried, but ultimately had the wholesalers telling him that most of Ruger’s production was being routed towards the self defense market. Big single action revolvers were not being made as they were not a priority.

The demands of the COVID and communists on the market will have some long lasting ripple effects.

Offline Flatulence

• Highly Active Member
  • FCFAA
    • FCFAA
« Reply #89 on: October 22, 2020, 02:38:08 PM »
I doubt manufacturers will be doing their normal seasonal production runs of hunting calibers. 

They are not.
Fairfield County Firearms & Archery LLC 01, 07, 08 FFL
4 New Canaan Ave Norwalk CT 06851
203 354 8956

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal