News: **If you're a Business**. Please do not post info about your company or business services unless you are permitted to do so
by the Admin. This rule has not been enforced much in the past, but with more paid vendors now, it has to be fair to them.
You can contact 'mrnuke' on the forum how to become a Supporting Vendor on the forum or an Advertiser. Thank You --Admin

Subscription Status

Supporting Member : No
Pro Supp. Member : No

Join & Become a Member
Supporting Memberships

Our Local Sponsors

Forum Links

Author Topic: Remington 700...which one ? What caliber ?  (Read 298 times)

Offline CTSixshot

• Forum Contributor
  • Highly Active Member
  • ...and the truth shall make you free.
Re: Remington 700...which one ? What caliber ?
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2020, 10:00:05 AM »
Although this won't be available forever, there are plenty of 6mm  (.243 Winchester) projectiles for the same low $5 per box price at "you know where".
If you go the .243 Winchester route, you can come over and roll your own, too.

Online Masked

• Smith Tactical
  • Supporting Vendor
  • Highly Active Member
  • Sup.
    • Smith Tactical
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2020, 10:11:20 AM »
do any of these places have a pricelist?

I picked up a R700 223 adl from 80 bucks that I want to rebarrel and build from.

Honestly, you can do all of that yourself.

Prefit 5.56 barrel
Chassis
Go/No-Go guages
Barrel wrench

Would probably cost a little bit more than a gunsmith doing it, but it'll save you some coin in the long run.
FFL 07 + SOT + CAGE Manufacturer in Oxford CT
www.Smith-Tactical.com
203-850-7770

Online pepedefrog

• Standard Member
  • PROTECT the 2nd!
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2020, 03:19:29 PM »
I'd go with a remage barrel for the Remington 700, a lot easier to do

Online K. Soze

• Highly Active Member
  • Keep the 2nd Amendment Alive.
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2020, 06:40:46 AM »
I would go with something common, 556 for fun, recoil and price... or 308 if you dont care.

Shorter barrels, or have one cut down, the longer ones tend to get really heavy. If all you plan to do is bench shooting thats great, but dont plan on carrying those heavy barrel beasts anywhere if you are hunting.

Also, remington is behind the curve on twist. Most of their affordable rifles dont have optimal twist depending on the weight of bullet you want to shoot. So keep that in mind when finding great prices on varmint rifles.

Lastly, i bought a 308 and i am happy with it... but kind of wish i had a 223/556 for cheaper shooting and recoil. I *think* the 223 will chamber a 556, but i know most of their 223 options have like 1:11 twist or something like that. I think the remington *police* rifles and some other options have a faster twist.

Offline CTSixshot

• Forum Contributor
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2020, 01:01:38 PM »
OP:  In the event you will consider non Rem 700s:

As mentioned earlier, there is a NIB heavy-barreled stainless Mossy Oak .223 Remington 700 at M&B Sports. This is one of those package deals complete with a scope. IIRC, it's marked $495

Warren also has a NIB Marlin XS7 (not sure on the model number) chambered in .308 Winchester. This is Marlin's equivalent to the Ruger American, in my opinion. It also is one of those package deals, complete with a scope. This one is only $350, I believe.

There's a used Winchester Model 100 in .308 Winchester. This is an auto-loader.

There's a Springfield Armory 1903 for $800, too (.30-06 Spfd.).

I don't work here, it's just about the only shop I visit regularly.

BTW, your inbox is full.

Happy hunting...
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 01:09:52 PM by CTSixshot »

Offline Acesneights1

• Highly Active Member
  • Forum Troll
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2020, 01:13:09 PM »
I have a 1903 however it needs the barrel reindexed and I have not been able to find a Smith willing to do it other than a guy who specializes in them in Colorado and not comfortable shipping it. I boughtammo from you years ago for my 30-30. I wouldnt mind chexking out that .223 one. I have a decent amount of that although never completly understood the difference with that and .5.56
guns ? I got rid of all mine before they jumped up from the safe and shot me.
People should not be afraid of their Gov't...Gov't should be afraid of their people..
God is not Dead.

Offline CTSixshot

• Forum Contributor
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2020, 01:37:33 PM »
There's a fella in Griswold that does some gunsmithing. Actually, he had a rebarreled '03 that he brought down to shoot with some .30-06 ammo that I reloaded. It wouldn't chamber them, nor factory rounds. Only to find that he didn't cut the chamber correctly. Once he remedied this, it shot just fine. In fact, the new owner of this rifle also came over to test-fire some heavier bullet weights and he has since taken several deer with this rifle.
As for .223 Remington versus 5.56x45mm, it generally has more to do with the chamber dimensions more so than the ammo. Yes, 5.56 NATO is rated at higher pressures, but I think that has more to do with how and where the pressure is measured on the case.
The general rule is shoot both in a 5.56 marked rifle, shoot only .223 Remington in a chamber so marked.
For the reloader, most powder and bullet manufacturers give the same data for .223 Rem. and 5.56mm. Western Powder and Hornady (recent versions, at least) do list separate data for .223 Remington (SAAMI) and 5.56 NATO (CIP).
Personally, I doubt there is significant differences with factory ammo as to whether it is truly 5.56mm or not, but I can't document this.
Even if you do have two distinct loads, I doubt most shooters will notice much difference, but that's just my 2 cents worth.
For me, I can't tell any difference between a 52g BTHP, a 55g FMJ or a 62g GDSP when shooting.

Offline CTSixshot

• Forum Contributor
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2020, 01:49:37 PM »
Acesneights1, you're inbox is full, so I can't PM you. PM me if you want this guy's number. He should be able to help you out and he isn't much further away than a trip to M&B Sports.
As for that Remington 700 Mossy Oak h-b rifle, I doubt it will be improper to shoot 5.56mm ammo out of it.
I don't hunt, but as those that do have said previously, a heavy-barreled model may not be the best choice for long hikes in the woods; just a thought.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 01:54:34 PM by CTSixshot »

Offline Acesneights1

• Highly Active Member
  • Forum Troll
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2020, 05:19:18 PM »
Ok cleaned out my inbox...lol there were messages between me and you about 45-70 black powder...lol
guns ? I got rid of all mine before they jumped up from the safe and shot me.
People should not be afraid of their Gov't...Gov't should be afraid of their people..
God is not Dead.

Offline CTSixshot

• Forum Contributor
  • Highly Active Member
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2020, 05:26:27 PM »
Probably from back when I was in New Haven or had my storage unit in Branford.
Do you still shoot the .45-70? I have plenty of brass and some ammo loaded at Trapdoor levels.
I'll PM you this fella's info.
If you come up, bring your .30-30 (if you still have it). I have almost two boxes of Hornady 170g .30-30 JFNSPs. Shoot some, reload some and shoot some more.
Incidentally, you'd love some reduced loads for the '03, so you could shoot all day long...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal