News: **If you're a Business**. Please do not post info about your company or business services unless you are permitted to do so
by the Admin. This rule has not been enforced much in the past, but with more paid vendors now, it has to be fair to them.
You can contact 'mrnuke' on the forum how to become a Supporting Vendor on the forum or an Advertiser. Thank You --Admin

Subscription Status

Supporting Member : No
Pro Supp. Member : No

Join & Become a Member
Supporting Memberships

Our Local Sponsors

Forum Links

Author Topic: Somebody stole my catalytic converter  (Read 227 times)

Online joelcramer

• Supporting Vendor
  • Highly Active Member
  • I fear for our Republic.
Somebody stole my catalytic converter
« on: November 19, 2020, 08:29:26 PM »
They cut it off my van about midnight last night.
This year sucks
People suck

Offline marco

• Forum Contributor
Re: Somebody stole my catalytic converter
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 08:52:06 PM »
thats nuts, seems it was worth enough for someone who needed one or was worth to sell. I remember years back where Cadillac bumpers were being stolen due to the value due to they were hard to get from the factory. Back in the late 80's We had an influx of customers that we were spot welding the anchor bolts and where the bumper meets the frame to make it difficult to steal.   
“What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms.”

Thomas Jefferson

Online SJK2

• Highly Active Member
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 09:02:59 PM »
The catalyst component of a catalytic converter is usually platinum (Pt), along with palladium (Pd), and rhodium (Rh). All three of these platinum group metals, or PGMs, are extremely rare but have a broad range of applications in addition to catalytic converters.

Depending on the age and type of vehicle, the PGMs in a catalytic converter can be worth anywhere from $200 to a rare $1,000 or more. The newer and/or smaller cars being closer to $200. The larger, older vehicles could have catalytic converters worth $600 and up.

The old story holds true, follow the money.......
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 09:04:10 PM by SJK2 »
Posting "Negative Karma" feedback under the guise of anonymity is just a “Girly-Man” thing to do. Man up & send a PM.!!!

Offline icanthitabarn

• Highly Active Member
  • Keep the 2nd Amendment Alive.
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 10:30:52 PM »
thats nuts, seems it was worth enough for someone who needed one or was worth to sell. I remember years back where Cadillac bumpers were being stolen due to the value due to they were hard to get from the factory. Back in the late 80's We had an influx of customers that we were spot welding the anchor bolts and where the bumper meets the frame to make it difficult to steal.   

Sounds like WATR

Online sbhaven

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Active Member
  • Keep the 2nd Amendment Alive.
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 06:20:16 AM »
They cut it off my van about midnight last night.
This year sucks
People suck
Yep. Sucks. Where did it happen? City or burbs? In your driveway or on the street or in a parking lot?

Remember reading stories about car dealerships being hit where numerous cars had the converters cut out.

Obviously the thief is selling it somewhere (or to someone) like local scrap yards or recyclers.
Potentially, a government is the most dangerous threat to man's rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
- Ayn Rand

Online imahangtia

• Highly Active Member
  • NEVER FORGIVE SB-1160
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 06:46:42 AM »
Back in the 70's (and I think 80's) many people had locking gasoline caps, because people were stealing gas.

Online joelcramer

• Supporting Vendor
  • Highly Active Member
  • I fear for our Republic.
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 06:58:51 AM »
Yep. Sucks. Where did it happen? City or burbs? In your driveway or on the street or in a parking lot?

Remember reading stories about car dealerships being hit where numerous cars had the converters cut out.

Obviously the thief is selling it somewhere (or to someone) like local scrap yards or recyclers.
In the parking lot of my shop on a busy road in Wallingford. Both business on either side have it on camera but no faces or license plates. Just two cars and you can see them crawling under my van with a flashlight and sawsall. They hid several cars that night on North Plains Industrial Rd.

Online M1A_All_Day

• Highly Active Member
  • Firewood Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2020, 10:00:43 AM »
Ungh, so sorry you have to go through this. Used to be VERY common in commuter lots when scrap metal prices were very high just before the 2008 bust. Just as common in rural areas as cities. Junkies think it's easy money like collecting cans on the side of the road.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal